God-Centered Daily Devotions (pt. 4)

PRINCIPLE #4 - Don't Overlook Prayer Time

One false assumption many Christians make is that reading Scripture is primarily inward focused and prayer is primarily outward focused. What I mean by that is this: they think that reading Scripture feeds their soul (which it most certainly does!) but they find a hard time understanding how praying to God does the same. They see prayer mainly as a way to present your requests to God and nothing more. Thus many Christians feel more motivated to read/study their Bibles during their daily devotions than they do to pray.

This was the case with me early in my Christian life. I saw prayer as nothing more than a way to bring requests before God and wait for Him to answer. While I knew it was important, what I really wanted to do was get the prayer over with so I could get on with the part that really gave ME satisfaction - reading/studying Scripture. First, let it be said that this was not a very God-centered way to approach daily time with God. But it's also crucial to note that this view of prayer is too rigid and narrow-minded.

While prayer is most certainly secondary to Scripture when it comes to revelation from God and what we can learn of Him, prayer can however be just as enriching for the soul as can intake of the Word at times.

One misconception we must correct is that prayer is only a means of bringing requests before God. Indeed this is a primary purpose of prayer as revealed in Scripture (Phil. 4:6-7, 1 John 5:14-15) but not it's only purpose.

Jesus saw prayer as a way to commune with God. Mark 1:35 says, "Very early in the morning while it was still dark Jesus got up, left the house, and went off to a solitary place where he prayed." The text makes no mention of what Jesus prayed about or what he asked for (if anything). But you do get the sense that Jesus needed to spend time alone with the Father and he did so by praying. Prayer is a pouring out of your soul to God... a means by which you can cast all your cares and burdens on him and have him take them from you. In this way prayer is extremely enriching and profitable for your soul.

I would suggest mixing it up when praying during your quiet times. I have a constant prayer list that I go through on most days. This takes roughly half of my quiet time. However on some days I simply come to God in prayer with no agenda but to pour out my soul to him. This is very enriching as well. I also stop to pray multiple times as I read/study Scripture when a verse or passage hits me especially hard.

I would also suggest spending regular time in prayer with God where you don't read any Scripture at all. Not that Scripture isn't vital and of utmost importance, but setting aside ample time to simply pray and seek God in that particular way is helpful and enriching. It can be hard at first to spend more than 10 minutes in prayer with no set agenda. Your mind wonders constantly and you may feel as though you've run out of things to say. First keep in mind that God isn't upset when your mind wonders. He knows you are human. Just bring it back to him and ask him to help you stay focused and go on. Also, don't think you always have to be saying something. Silent prayer (and by silent I don't mean just lack of audible noise but also not saying anything to God in your head) used to be practiced and taught much more consistently in the church than it is today. However again you must discipline your mind to stay focused on God. I've found that repeating a word such as "JESUS" can be helpful in this aspect. Through silent prayer we place our hearts before God's throne and say to him, "Do with me what you will." Again, this will be hard at first but after consistant practice and discipline it becomes easier and is well worth it. Remember, you can't get better at something unless you spend time trying and failing.

I'll have more to say on God-centered prayer in a future post.



to be continued...

John Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram