USA Today The Day I Was Born

Last night my wife and I were going through some old things my parents had saved from when I was a baby on up through my early high school years. One of my favorite things that they saved was a copy of the USA Today Newspaper from January 23, 1985 - the day I was born. Here were some of the interesting things I read....

  • Rookie Michael Jordan scores 29 points against the Blazers (WOOT!)
  • OJ Simpson inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame
  • Apple's IIc Computer is Christmas sales champ
  • Steve Wozniak & Apple compete with IBM for computer sales market share
  • Cigarette ads abound
  • Ronald Reagan begins his second term in office as President
  • Prince thought by writers to be ascending to the same level as Elvis, Jimi Hendrix, and Chuck Berry
  • Best-selling album is Born in the USA by Bruce Springstein
  • Abortion debate rages heavily and divides country seemingly even more than it does today
This was a pretty neat experience. If you're having a baby any time soon I would encourage you to plan to buy a copy of a national newspaper on that day so that 25 years later you and your child can look back at what was going on in the country. I enjoyed it. BTW... my parents also saved the local newspaper but there was nothing important to remember in it.

John Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram