Friday Films

I would call myself a movie fanatic. I love films, acting, story, cinematography, directing, etc. If you think about it you probably have some kind of entertainment you're very interested in (music, movies, television shows, sports, etc.).

But when you're a Christian you have to let God invade, affect, and rule every area of your life. Paul says in 1 Corinthians 10:31, "So whether you eat, or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

So the question is, do you ask yourself... how can I listen to music to the glory of God? How can I watch movies to the glory of God? How can I watch TV/Sports to the glory of God? Because when you're as interested as I am in one of these things the temptation is always there to watch in a way that does not glorify God because some of the best movies/music/TV shows are not glorifying to God in many ways.

One way that this hit me recently is through our baby that's coming next year. Just like God should invade and affect every area of your life, in a similar way a baby invades and affects every area of your life... including the films you watch.

When we found out we were having a child I started to question myself on the DVD's I own because there will come a day when the little guy gets old enough to get curious about watching them. This has convicted me to get rid of some of my movies. One thing I must admit is that these movies are the vulgar ones I should have never owned in the first place. I wasn't allowing God to invade this area of my life as much as I should have. The fact that I'm getting rid of them now tells me that I should have never had them in the first place.

Sure there are some movies that I'm keeping that I wouldn't want my two year old to watch because of things that might give him nightmares or stuff that would scare him or make him cry. But when I think that I don't want my child hearing some of the language in some movies we have or seeing the prideful and disrespectful way people treat each other it convicts me because, I shouldn't be watching those things myself. Don't you see it as hypocritical when parents who curse tell their children not to curse? What about when parents who smoke tell their children not to smoke? What about when parents disrespect each other and others and yet get their children in trouble for the same things? I would feel the same way if I was watching vulgar movies with lots of ungodly things in them all the while telling my child not to watch them.

Let God invade this area of your life. Let him rule it. Let him be Lord over it. Paul said, "Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do..." That means God must be Lord in even the small, "insignificant" areas of life. It means no matter what you're doing you have to ask yourself...How can I glorify God while doing this? When it comes to movies, if it wouldn't glorify God, don't watch it. Don't take it in. Don't ask yourself... How close to the line can I get before it's considered a sin? Ask yourself... How can I glorify God to the utmost and be as pure and holy as I can?

John Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram