Friday Films

The other day I heard a preacher say two things about our generation (ages 18-34):

1. There is a strong movement of 18-34 year olds in America committed to solid biblical doctrine, global missions, evangelism, and theology.
2. The movies we watch do not reflect our Christian values in the slightest... in fact they directly contradict them.

This concerns me greatly, as it did that preacher whom I was listening to. It's great that we can be a generation so concerned with the truths of Scripture and the kingdom of God... in fact this often pleasantly surprises the older generations. But our practical, every-day moral decisions seem to be a reason God might possibly squash the whole movement in its tracks.

In light of this, what should we do? Well we should allow God to pervade every aspect of our practical lives, including the films we watch. We should give up films such as Saw, Jackass, Sex & The City, & The Hangover, and choose to fill our eyes and our minds with material that glorifies God and motivates us to live a holy life.

One great way to worship God in the films you choose to watch is to rent documentaries that highlight God's glory in creation. Recently my wife and I started The Blue Planet series (from BBC who also did Planet Earth). These documentaries highlight God's creativity, glory, power, wisdom, and sovereignty in creating all the life that survives in and around the earth's oceans. I will admit many parts almost bring me to tears because of the beauty displayed by God. It's fascinating to see such wonderful displays of animal life in areas where no one can even see it (unless of course you go looking for it). It makes me think that God is simply being the great Artist he is in remote places on the earth for His own enjoyment. What an awesome God we have!

I would encourage you to rent The Blue Planet or Planet Earth the next time you get a chance to watch some movies with your family or simply by yourself. My wife and I got them for free from our local library.

Furthermore I would challenge you, if Christ is indeed your Lord, to let Him invade and take over every practical area of your life, including the movies you watch.

John Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram