An Easy Way to Memorize Entire Books of the Bible

Recently I just finished memorizing the book of Philippians.

That may sound crazy to you, or at least extraordinarily difficult, but it's really not that hard.

Here's how I did it.

First, I bought a pocket-sized Moleskine journal - HERE.

Then I printed out this PDF and cut out each square and pasted them on alternate pages - leaving a page to the side for reflection.  Below is a picture of one of the pages.


But the real kicker is I used the voice memos on my phone.

Each week I would record my own voice reading that week's set of verses on the Voice Memos app on my iPhone.

And then every time I got in the car I would play that week's recording over, and over, and over, and over again.

You'd be quite surprised how quick you can learn a verse doing it this way.  Often I would have two verses memorized just in the span of one 15 minute car ride.

And if you're anything like me, you take plenty of 15 minute car rides every week.

On the latter days of the week (Th, Fr, Sat) I would review previous weeks' verses, again simply playing the audio track on Voice Memos and reciting along with it aloud.

So really it was no extra time out of my day.  The only real sacrifice I had to make was not listening to as much music or podcasts in the car - a small and worthwhile sacrifice for memorizing the words of God.

I also installed a GTA Car Kit in my car because my car is a little older and doesn't have an AUX input built into the stereo.  Installing the kit was a lot of fun and it works great!

I was very surprised how easy it was to memorize an entire book of the Bible this way.  Yes, I will have to review, but the process helped me to know the book of Philippians better than I ever have in my life.  And the benefits of carrying around Scripture in my heart are numerous (See Psalm 119:9; Psalm 119:11; Joshua 1:8).

You can do this too.  You just have to want to.  Seriously, it's easier than you think.

John Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram