Tempting But Dangerous Reading Habits...

Assuming you read often (and I hope you do!) you probably have one of the following two strategies for choosing books on Christianity - either you choose only authors that you trust OR you choose what's new/popular and hope it's biblical.

Beware of both!

I typically find myself using the first strategy. I know which authors are biblical and which ones are not so I choose books based upon authors I can trust. The problem with this is everything I end up reading is usually stuff I already agree with. That means I'm not challenging myself to respond to erroneous views of Scripture or the Christian life. I'm (in a sense) surrounding myself with other people just like me and in the process I'm not growing.

On the other hand when I read an article or a book that I disagree with it forces me to get my facts straight and understand why the things those authors claim are not the truth. It forces me to learn... it forces me to grow. It may not be the most fun kind of reading but it's some of the most beneficial.

One very important caveat needs to be mentioned here however: to do this well you need to be skilled at reading critically. There was a point in my life where it would have been dangerous for me to read a book by an intellectual atheist. I might have begun to believe what he/she was writing without questioning it. No matter how much you think you can trust the author you're reading, always read critically. Don't take everything they say as gospel. You have to be skilled at this before you can move on to reading things you know you'll disagree with.

To help you get a practical hold on what I'm talking about, here are some suggestions on things you could read that would almost certainly be outside your realm of agreement:
  • The Quran
  • Anything by Richard Dawkins (world-renowned atheist)
  • Books on theology/doctrine by authors of different denominations than your own
  • The Book of Mormon
  • The Apocrypha
Again, reading material you don't agree with will help you to understand the arguments of those you are trying to reach for Christ. I would venture to say Muslims don't have very much respect for Christians trying to evangelize to them who also have a false understanding of Muslim teachings.

The second strategy or habit people fall into when choosing books is simply picking out the popular book at the time hoping that what's said inside is biblical. This can be extremely dangerous as well... especially if you're not skilled at reading critically. There have been more than a few wildly popular Christian books come out in recent years that have contained messages that were clearly unbiblical. Just because a book is labeled "Christian" at the bookstore doesn't mean it's sound doctrinally.

Furthermore when you read only the latest and most popular books you miss out great books and authors that have proven themselves to be classics over the years. How many of Rob Bell's books will be remembered in 10 years? Compare that with those of a C.S Lewis, Charles Spurgeon, or Augustine. There's nothing wrong with new and popular books. Mere Christianity was new and popular at one time. The point is you increase your chances of a great read if you choose those books that have already withstood the test of time.


John Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram