Some Great Reads

Every few months I'm going to put up some recommendations of great books I've read recently.  Here are a few from the past six months or so.


The Art of Neighboring - Jay Pathak & Dave Runyon

My generation grew up with so many things that kept us inside the house and inwardly focused.  My parents and a lot of people I know from my parents' generation are naturally great neighbors to the folks that live next to them.  But I've seen a very consistent trend that people my age are generally very poor neighbors and tend to not even know the names of most people living right next to them.  If that's you, this is your book.  There's some great practical tips for being a better neighbor here.



The Conviction to Lead - Al Mohler

If you are in any kind of leadership position at all you will benefit from this book.  There are scores of leadership books out there.  This is the best one I've ever read.  I felt convicted and motivated to action and change.







Loving the Way Jesus Loves - Phil Ryken

My big takeaway from this book?  Jesus love is completely unselfish and I am so very selfish.  This book was a punch in the gut and convicted my heart.  It's also one of the best commentaries (although it's an easy read and not a commentary!) on 1 Corinthians 13 you'll find.






The Intolerance of Tolerance - D.A. Carson

This is a biting critique on today's culture where if you hold to any sort of truth that claims others are wrong you're labeled a bigot and intolerant.  Tolerance has been redefined from disagreeing with respect to vilifying anyone who claims to have the truth.  This new tolerance has been lifted up as the ultimate virtue and we must "tolerate" everyone, except of course anyone who disagrees with what the majority says.

John Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram