Moving to Owensboro

Well...

I have not posted in quite a while, mainly because I've been concentrated on many more important things in life. One is learning how to be a dad and getting to know my boy, but the other has been landing a youth ministry job at the church where I grew up located in Owensboro, KY. God has allowed us to go through a lot of uncertainty this past year and it's been immensely stressful at times but it seems like for once we feel calm and happy about something.

I start work May 31st, but we will wait to move until a couple weeks later as Jen has to finish out the school year at her current job. I'm super excited to finally be able to spend 40hrs a week doing ministry - something I've prayed for for almost 6 years. And we're thrilled as a family to be able to raise our little boy Owen in the same city as his grandparents and near other aunts, uncles, and cousins. Can't wait to see what God does in our lives through this transition!

At the same time we're sad to leave our home here in Lexington. I wanted to write this blog to thank all of our friends we've made in Lexington over the past 8 years. I won't mention names for fear of leaving someone out and having someone get upset, but you know who you are. Our families have often commented on how surprised and blown away they are at the level of commitment and love our friends in Lexington have shown us and they are 100% correct.

God has truly blessed us with genuine, deep fellowship with some very godly men and women here. We're actually quite nervous that we won't ever to be able to find friends in Owensboro that we can be this close to - friends who are willing to love us, care for us, rebuke us, challenge us, pray for us, be honest with us, and encourage us. Also since we've lived here my wife and I have consistently felt as if we weren't loving and giving as much to our friends as they were to us. We had an extra family.

In Matthew 12:48-50, Jesus says, "'Who is my mother and who are my brothers?' Pointing to his disciples he said, 'Here are my mother and brothers. For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.'" Jesus is teaching us that in many ways our brothers and sisters in Christ are closer than our immediate family. Thankfully my immediate family are also my brothers and sisters in Christ, but I'm reminded of this passage when I think of our closest friends we've made in Lexington.

It will always feel like we took so much more from our friends in Lexington than we gave, because they were all so generous and selfless. God has given us so very much through all of you guys... so look forward to your rewards in heaven from God our Father because of the blessing you were to us.

John Davis

1 comment:

Instagram