Why Another Blog??

This is the question I would be asking if I happened upon yet another blog. What's the purpose? Can there really be anything else of significance to contribute to the overwhelming flood of bloggers and thoughts blogged in the last say 3-5 years? I hope so. So let me try to answer why I thought starting a blog would be a good idea.

1. God hasn't blessed me with a preaching ministry yet.

Many of you can relate to this: when you find your God-given calling you find it spilling out of you almost uncontrollably and your goal is to direct it in the right ways. Jeremiah 20:9 says, "But if I say I will not mention him or speak anymore in his name his word is in my heart like fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed I cannot." This is how I feel without a pulpit. Hence, a blog.

2. I write constantly and blogging gives it accountability.

About every 2-3 days something will pop in my head about God/Scripture/life as it relates to God and I write about it. Usually it's about the length of a blog post. With the blog now I can share these things (which hopefully is beneficial for everyone else) and also knowing that others will read these posts will force me to think through everything I write to make sure it's accurate, detailed but concise, and doctrinally sound (which will be beneficial for me and my writing/thinking abilities). Furthermore I hope to receive constructive criticism in the form of comments anytime I mention something that others might disagree with.

3. God calls us all to put in our "2 Cents".

"Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowed putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a fraction of a penny." - Mark 12:41-42

This is where the name for the blog comes from. Each one of us are called by God to use our "gifts and abilities to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms." (1 Peter 4:10) Furthermore we are called to do everything for the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31). Therefore if I have a gift to offer I will offer it for the glory of God. If only one person reads this blog and is encouraged and brought closer to God-centered living and thinking then it has served its purpose.

John Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram